Friday, August 10, 2007

Waterways









My passion for custom built products extends far beyond my comprehension. My roots are simple. My closest contact with “su misura” as a child was a race car my brother and I built to compete with other kids in our neighborhood.

I was always curious about how things are made, and very often disassembled things around the house putting them back together with minor modifications. Well, very often my tampering with these already fine made objects made them stop functioning which made my father furious (the cursing Italian words he screamed at me are improper to print).

This brings me to the next product I had the pleasure to observe being built by the fine craftsman (they did not alow me to touch anything) at Magnum Marine. Magnum Offshore Speed yachts, in my opinion, are the finest offshore power yachts available to fortunate individuals with enough money to afford them.


Magnum was founded in 1966 by Don Aronow who built two hulls specifically for the offshore circuit. He then launched Magnum Marine with these two models – the magnum 27’ and 35’, and both went on to become World Offshore Champions in Open Class racing.

Salon Interior design by Andrew Winch



Magnum changed ownership a couple of years later, remaining a racing boat until 1976 when it was acquired by Marchese Filippo Theodoli, an Italian boat builder, and his wife Katrin. This acquisition brought about major changes making Magnum what it is today: A high performance technology luxury yacht.

Katrin, who since the demise of her husband in 1990 has become the only woman CEO of a high performance boat company, gave me the tour during my first visit to Magnum Marine in Aventura, Florida. The fleet of Magnum boats have made every high-end boating magazine cover including the Robb Report and Forbes.

No comments: